Thursday, January 12, 2006

 

Congresswoman from Watergate era says Bush must be impeached

As my friends know, I have concluded that Bush should be impeached but left in office until his very last day, at which point he should become the first President removed from office. That would make it clear that this is not about power or partisanship, but about law and national honor. Elizabeth Holtzman, writing a brilliant brief for impeachment in The Nation I can still remember the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach during those proceedings, when it became clear that the President had so systematically abused the powers of the presidency and so threatened the rule of law that he had to be removed from office. As a Democrat who opposed many of President Nixon's policies, I still found voting for his impeachment to be one of the most sobering and unpleasant tasks I ever had to undertake. None of the members of the committee took pleasure in voting for impeachment; after all, Democrat or Republican, Nixon was still our President. At the time, I hoped that our committee's work would send a strong signal to future Presidents that they had to obey the rule of law. I was wrong.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

More blogs about politics.
Technorati Blog Finder